Saturday, March 14, 2009

Good To Go!

Brody has been missing a few things from his room and I hadn't been able to figure out where they had disappeared to. Then I stumbled upon this bag. Inside was a myriad of confusing items. When I asked him what it was, he told me it was his 72 hour kit. Apparently Aiden decided it was time to get our act together, be prepared to hit the mountains, so they each packed their own kit. Here is a summary of what was inside:

Not one, but 5 teddy bears. We all need our "comfies" in troubled times.

A couple of books to read, including a Bible storybook. We will definitely need something to keep our minds off of our dire situation, and a Bible story will help us remember who to call on.

An electronic baseball game. This one's really for his dad, so they can spend some quality time together during our 72 hour getaway.

Sweats and a t-shirt. Hopefully he'll already have shoes on when it's time to flee!

3 baseball hats. Excellent for keeping the blazing sun or falling snow off his face, depending on the time of year the big one hits.

His soccer and t-ball medals. I'm thinking we could use these as a bartering system with the "others" who are hanging out in the mountains. "I'll trade you that Mountain House Stroganoff for my soccer medal. It's gooold!" (singsong voice and Vanna White hand motions.)

His "straw bottle rocket" he made in 4H after school. This one is a stroke of genius. We could light the end of it and send it up like an emergency flare if things get rocky. (Like if we run out of Bible stories or our batteries die in the electronic baseball game.)

His bunny on the moon. He's had this in his room since he was a baby, so it just makes sense that it should be in his temporary room.

A snow globe. While we're out digging latrines and surviving on tuna for 3 days, it's mystical presence will be essential for our morning family yoga mantras and opening our chakras. The clear mountain air, I can smell it now!

And finally, $2. Perfect for when we finally come back down. We can hit McDonald's first thing for a Big Mac!

Noticeably missing:

A toothbrush. But really, I'm fairly sure he's gone three days before without brushing, so maybe not so crucial after all.

A sleeping bag. I don't mind if he shares with me. I'm always cold anyway.

Food. But what six year old preps his own food anyway? Surely Mom and Dad are on it.

Chocolate. No, this is different than food. And perhaps even more necessary. I will turn into a shriveling excuse for a human being if I have to go without chocolate for 3 days! I shudder to think...



I must say, I'm impressed. The kid is nothing if not prepared (for the next disaster or the next Mac Attack, whichever comes first.) And seeing as how my own 72 hour kit is sitting downstairs, unassembled, waiting for me to get it together, I might have to share with Brody. He's definitely got enough hats and teddy bears to go around. I'll have to go rummage through Aiden's now and see if she's got anything I can use. I'm hoping she packed her designer Barbie. I'll bet some little girl will trade a Hershey bar for that!

5 comments:

gillman said...

LOL! that is the best. i love little kids and how their minds work. i would love to see what my kids would put in a 72 hour kit. what an awesome kid!
Meg

Unknown said...

Ha ha. That was great. Kids are a lot more clever than we give them credit for.

Prestwich Family said...

What a doll! How fun to find out what is really important to him. And like you said, at least HE has one!

heidi said...

i am amazed!! we don't even have our kits done but your kids know enough about them to put together their own!! (i love seeing what was inside.. it just made me smile.:))

shannon p. said...

Brody is such a cute kid! Way to be prepared - hopefully this is a sign of his future love of scouting!