Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Happy Birthday, First Born!


Seventeen years ago today, I became a mom when my little blonde haired, blue-eyed Jordan came into the world. Wow. That's almost hard to admit, grasp, believe. Any of those would fit nicely. I remember, before she came, having these grand visions of motherhood. My kids would always match, they would say please and thank you to their parents and every other human being, they would learn at least 3 musical instruments, they would have straight A's, they would have great hair (don't ask me why I think this is important, it just is), they would be neat freaks, they would be athletically inclined, they would have naturally straight teeth (it could happen!), they would learn to swim without swimming lessons, they would tan easily, they would love trying new foods, and most importantly, they would love mentoring and hanging out with their siblings (like one of those families where the siblings hug and kiss each other and actually say the words, "I love you" to each other. I know, that's just weird.)

Well, 2 out of 12 isn't bad. I'm not saying which 2.

I know, I know. What was I thinking? Believe it or not, I still think it. I still have visions of grandeur with the raising of my children. And my oldest is only going to be home another year or so!! Wait just a darn second! I'm not ready! We have 10 or so more things on that list to work on!

Alas, I'm going to have to let some of my control freak personality go. Just let it free, like the Progessive Lady (ooh, there it goes). Because really, my oldest may not have accomplished all the things on that list, but here's what she has accomplished:

1. Straight A's. Oops, I said I wouldn't tell which two. Well, that's only one.

2. A very strong personality with her own opinions about everything. And I mean that in a good way. She doesn't wait for her parent's opinions, she goes right ahead and just forms those suckers on her own. Imagine that.

3. A burning love and respect for her country.

4. A vision of her future. She is college bound and already knows she wants to be a social worker. Her parents are still trying to figure out what they want to do when they grow up.

5. A love of little children.

6. An excellent cook. She has surpassed me in the kitchen, and I am happy to hand over the apron to her! Now, if I could just get her to do the dishes afterward...

7. An excellent choice in friends. For a while, she seemed to be burning through her friends and it had her dad and I worried a bit. But after a while, we realized she has a lot of wisdom and has surrounded herself with really good people.

8. A piano player. Sort of. Click here.

9. A voracious reader. She can read a novel in one day. I'm not lying. She read the last Harry Potter in one night. Meaning, she didn't sleep the whole night and finished by morning. And she remembers every detail! No kidding. I can barely remember if I've read the book or not, she can tell you every character, their birth date and on what page they first appeared in the book.

10. Naturally straight teeth. Oops! I did it again.

Happy Birthday Jordan. You are a great kid and I'm sure your dad and I don't tell you that often enough. Thank you for all you've taught us. Thank you for being our guinea pig. Thank you for being my first child. First children hold a special place in their parent's hearts. Thank you for your not wrecking the car yet. You've got me beat by a year already.

I love you.


Here are a few other things I've learned since being a mother...
(and yes, I borrowed a "few" of these)

You Know You're a Mother When ...

You count the sprinkles on each kid's cupcake to make sure they're equal.

You have time to shave only one leg.

You hide in the bathroom to be alone.

Your kid throws-up and you catch it.

Someone else's kid throws up at a party. You keep eating.

You hope ketchup is a vegetable, since it's the only one your child eats.

You stop criticizing the way your mother raised you.

You donate to charities in the hope that your child won't get that disease.

You hire a sitter because you haven't been out with your husband in ages, then spend half the night checking on the kids.

You curse the invention of cell phones when your child learns to dial you to tell you that his sister just used the "S" word. (You know, "stupid")

You use your own saliva to clean your child's face.

You say at least once a day, "I don't have the energy for this", but you know you wouldn't trade it for anything".

5 comments:

Nik said...

That little picture of Jordan brings back so many memories! She was the sweetest little girl! I remember that I used to be 'her' Nik. *sniff* I miss that kid!

Are you sure she doesn't have the great hair thing down? She seems to be pretty matchy... tan, too...? Perhaps you should be re-evaluating this list...?

Happy Birthday, Jordan!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Jordan. She is such a beautiful girl. Even from childhood. Hope her day is/was great!

gillman said...

val, i should stop my moaning about my kids getting older, i can't believe yours is 17!!! are you sure your old enough to have a17 year old??? she is such a great girl, and i am sure it comes from having great parents and an awesome mom!!! i love your posts!
Meg :0)

Jenn said...

SO cute! I can't believe she's all grown up! She really was the cutest little girl in second ward!

shannon p. said...

Happy Birthday Jordan! You are such a great girl! And Val, I'm with you on your "list" I am still holding out for my kids to develop all of those traits, talents and loving attributes...there's always hope, right?