Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Shoe is on the Other Foot. Oh Look, It's on This One, Too!

Last night I was talking to some friends about being a shoe person or not a shoe person. I don't mean like having a weakness for buying really fabulous shoes, like my friend, Meg. I'm talking about wearing shoes. As in all day long. That's me. I'm a shoe gal.

Meet my shoes.



My shoes are something akin to my BFF. They go on my feet first thing in the morning, and are the last thing to come off at night. Nothing gets done around my house until the shoes are on the feet. I have an issue with stepping on crunchies or anything wet or sticky. And as valiant a housekeeper as I try to be, there is almost always something crunchy or wet or sticky on my kitchen floor. The little angels you see above this post are surprisingly crunchy, wet and sticky people. Therefore, the shoes are crucial in my ability to accomplish anything around my house. I have developed a personal relationship with these shoes. Sometimes I think they have a personality, like they can even feel certain emotions, such as these:

Anger: Hey lady, watch what you're stepping in!
Pain: Excuse me, but you haven't put on a pound or ten lately, have you?
Sarcasm: No, no, really. I don't mind. That beating your giving me is good for my character! Sheesh!
Jealousy: Fine. Wear the red patent leather heels. They think they're so hot. Just answer this one question. Have they always been there for you like I have? Can they give you the support I give you? So what if that was two questions. Whatever. Talk to the foot.
Happiness: Yay! Here she comes! She likes me, she really likes me!

Does this make me crazy? I don't know and really, I don't care. My shoes make me happy. And productive. And comfortable. And happy.

And don't get me wrong. I'm also the Meg kind of shoe girl. I wasn't lying about the red patent leather heels. But mostly I'm the schizo kind of personality-bearing shoe wearer described above. And that pleases me. And the voices in my head.

6 comments:

gillman said...

LOL!! the shoes i wear most at home are my old pink fuzzy slippers. i save my super fabulous shoes for when i go out! but your right, they are like an old friend, always there for you!!
Meg :0)

CarrieMarie said...

*laugh* That's funny. I'm the opposite - shoes don't go on til they absolutely have to, as I'm walking out the door, and they are the first thing off when I walk in a home. Or when I get to my desk at work. BUT I have to have socks on til I go to bed, unless it's really HOT out. : )

Nik said...

You's crazy.

Unknown said...

You totally make me laugh. I too, have to have shoes on when I'm cleaning. Mine however, are flip flops. I could wear those puppies ALL year long, and boy do I!!

Prestwich Family said...

You're so funny!! And how come they are always just white. Come on, let's spice it up a little!!

shannon p. said...

Very funny - as usual...you are quite a fabulous writer (maybe you always have been and I just never knew it!) Any-hoo, I'm jealous, if there is one thing I would like to be, it's a good writer...(I know, I should want to be other things too, and I do want to be those things, I just want to be a good writer first!)